2011: Professor in Physical Chemistry-Colloidal Biology, Lund University
2009: Docent in Physical Chemistry, Lund University
2004- 2011: Assistant Professor, Physical Chemistry. Financed by VR
2002-2004: Postdoc at the Dept. Biochemistry of Membranes, Utrecht University.
2001-2002: Postdoc at the Dept Pharmacy, Uppsala University
2001: PhD in Physical Chemistry, Lund University
1996: MSc in Chemistry, Lund university & University of Cambridge
Commissions of Trust
* Member of the Scientific Council for Natural and Engineering Sciences at the Swedish research council, VR (2019-2021)
* Chair of the review panel in analytical, physical and theoretical chemistry at the Swedish research council, VR (2016-2018)
* Member of the Faculty board, Science Faculty, Lund University (2018-2020)
* Deputy head of the Division of Physical Chemistry, Lund University (2016-2020)
* Member in steering group Multipark strategic research area at Lund University (2015-2017)
* Director for Linné Excellence center "Organizing Molecular Matter" (OMM) (2012-2016)
Awards and Elected Membership
2019: Arrhenius medal (Swedish Chemical Society)
2017-:Member of the Royal Physiographic Society of Lund, Academy for the Natural Sciences, Medicine and Technology
2014: Hagberg Foundation Prize (Royal Swedish Academies of Sciences, KVA)
2011-2016: Member in the Young Academy of Sweden (selected by KVA)
2011: WEF 2011 Young Scientist. World Economic Forum. Nominated by KVA
2008: Future Research Leader Award (Swedish Foundation for Strategic Research, SSF)
2006: Per-Eric and Ulla Schyberg's Award (Royal Physiographic Society)
2003:Akzo Nobel Nordic Research Prize
Programs and Research Centers
• Member of the Wallenberg research project "Physical chemistry of peptide-lipid co-assembly: from lipid-rich to peptide-rich" (2015-2020)
• Member of the Wallenberg research project "Anisotropic forces in colloidal systems" (2015-2020)
• Partner and Director of the Linnaeus Research Center Organizing Molecular Matter (OMM) (2006-2016)
• Member of Multipark - a strategic research area at Lund university (2009-)
• Participating in the programme Future Research Leaders, a project funded by the Swedish Foundation for Strategic Research (SSF) (2008-2013
C. Galvagnion, D. Topgaard, K. Makasewicz, A.K. Buell, S. Linse, E. Sparr, C. Dobson: Lipid dynamics and phase transition within a-synuclein amyloid fibrils.
J. Phys. Chem. Lett (2019) In press
J. Andersson, K. Roger, M. Larsson, E. Sparr. The impact of non-equilibrium conditions in lung surfactant: structure and composition gradients in multilamellar films.
ACS Central Science (2018) 4, 1315
M Wang, A.M. Mihut, E. Rieloff, A.P. Dabkowska, L.K. Månsson, J. Immink, E. Sparr, J. Crassous. Assembling responsing microgels at a responsive lipid membrane.
PNAS (2019) 116, 5442
Q.D. Pham, A. Wolde-Kidan, A. Gupta, E. Schneck, R. Netz, E. Sparr
Effects of Urea and TMAO on Lipid Self-Assembly under Osmotic Stress Conditions
J. Phys Chem B (2018) In press (selected for journal cover)
J. Habchi, S. Chia, C. Galvagnion, T. C. T. Michaels, M. Bellaiche, F. S. Ruggeri, M. Sanguanini, I. Idini, J. R. Kumita, E. Sparr, S. Linse, C. M. Dobson, T. P. J. Knowles, M. Vendruscolo. Cholesterol catalyses Ab42 aggregation through a heterogeneous nucleation pathway in the presence of lipid membranes.
Nature Chemistry (2018) In press
K. Roger, E. Sparr, H. Wennerström. Evaporation, diffusion and self-assembly at drying interfaces.
PCCP (2018) In press
E.H. Mujumdar, Q.D. Pham, D. Topgaard, E. Sparr. Skin Hydration: Interplay between molecular dynamics, structure and water uptake in the stratum corneum.
Sci Reports (2017) 7, 15712
J. M. Andersson, C. Grey, M. Larsson, T.M. Ferreira, E. Sparr. Effect of cholesterol on the molecular structure and transitions in a clinical-grade lung surfactant extract.
PNAS (2017) 114, E3592-E3601
Q.D. Pham, D. Topgaard, E. Sparr. Tracking solvents in the skin- Molecular mobility of solvents, lipids and protein in intact stratum corneum.
PNAS (2017) 114, E112-E121
K. Roger, M. Liebi, J. Heimdal, Q.D. Pham, E. Sparr. Controlling evaporation through self-assembly.
PNAS (2016) 113, 10275
C. Galvagnion , J.W.P. Brown , M.M. Ouberai, P. Flagmeier , M. Vendruscolo, A.K. Buell, E. Sparr, C.M. Dobson. The chemical properties of lipids strongly affect the kinetics of the membrane-induced aggregation of alpha-synuclein.
PNAS (2016) 113, 7065-70
A. Dabkowska, A. Michanel, L. Jaeger, M. Rabe, F. Höök, T. Nylander, E. Sparr. Assembly of RNA nanostructures on supported lipid bilayers.
Nanoscale (2015) 7, 583–596
M. Grey, C. Dunning, R. Gaspar, C. Grey, P. Brundin, E. Sparr, S. Linse. Acceleration of a-synuclein aggregation by exosomes.
J Biol Chem (2015) 290, 2969–2982
S. Björklund, J.M. Andersson, Q.D. Pham, A. Nowacka, D. Topgaard, E. Sparr. Stratum corneum molecular mobility in the presence of natural moisturizers.
Soft Matter (2014) 10, 4535-4546
A.K. Buell, C. Galvagnion, R. Gaspar, E. Sparr, M. Vendruscolo, T.P.J. Knowles S. Linse, C.M. Dobson Solution conditions determine the relative importance of nucleation and growth processes in alpha-synuclein aggregation.
Proc Natl Acad Sci USA (2014) 111. 7671-7677
E. Hellstrand, A. Nowacka, D. Topgaard, S. Linse, E. Sparr. Membrane Lipid Co-Aggregation with α-Synuclein Fibrils.
PLoS ONE (2013) e61889
53. E. Hellstrand, M. Grey, M-L- Ainalem, J. Ankner, T. Forsyth, G. Fragneto, M. Haetlein, M.T. Dauvergne, H. Nilsson, P. Brundin, S. Linse, T. Nylander, E. Sparr. Adsorption of a-synuclein to supported lipid bilayers - positioning and role of electrostatics.
ACS Chem Neurosci (2013) 4, 1339-1351
S. Björklund, A. Nowacka, J.A. Bouwstra, E. Sparr, D. Topgaard. Characterization of stratum corneum molecular dynamics by natural-abundance 13C solid-state NMR. PLOS One (2013). 8, e61889
A. Nowacka, S. Douezan, L. Wadsö, D. Topgaard, and E. Sparr, Small polar molecules like glycerol and urea can preserve the fluidity of lipid bilayers under dry conditions,
Soft Matter (2012) 8, 1482
E. Sparr, M.F.M. Engel, D.V. Sakharov, M. Sprong, J. Jacobs, B. de Kruijff, J.W.M. Höppener, J. A. Killian. Islet amyloid polypeptide-induced membrane leakage involves uptake of lipids by forming amyloid fibers. FEBS Lett (2004) 577, 117–120
E. Sparr, H. Wennerström. Responding Binary Phospholipid Membranes - Interplay between Hydration and Permeability. Biophys. J. (2001) 81, 1014-1028
N. Markova, E. Sparr, L. Wadsö. Applications of the Double Twin Isothermal Microcalorimeter – Phase Transformations and Clay Swelling. Thermochim. Acta (2001) 374, 93-104